Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Pleasure In Pain

To all my blogger friends out in the vast blogger world. I appreciate your questions and encouragement during my recent writing drought. It is encouraging to hear that there are those of you who regularly check my page to see if there are any new updates. I really understand the feeling. It's like when I go to www.homestarrunner.com excited to see a new cartoon. There should be something new, right? Then my head hangs as I see nothing except the main page background has changed. Or like when I check my new podcasts to see if there is a new Don't Be That Guy episode up. Alas, my only new updates are another 16 episodes of Insight For Living.

Maybe it's not that disappointing for you, but I still understand. I guess maybe the drought continues with only a drizzle here and there, but no real downpours of inspirational thoughts or writings. I guess part of it also has to do with my life being virtually turned upside down as of late. All sorts of changes are taking place right now with home, church and work (no I'm not leaving any of them at the moment). It has been making me feel like Elasti-boy. It's been 130% stretching and 70% encouraging. Whatever it is, it has been taking twice the patience and strength I have to offer.

I guess what is most encouraging is, I know that the Lord is at work. And if He's at work, then that means I am His. His forging fires are frequent and often unpleasant to pass through, but the end product is more than worth the fires and the forging. While scales of self and pride are painfully peeled off, what is left is a tender, broken and consequently usable being. In that state of usability is found true joy, peace and contentment for it is found alone in Christ.

I Asked The Lord

I asked the Lord that I might Grow
In Faith and love and every grace
Might more of His salvation know
And seek more earnestly His Face

Twas He who taught me thus to pray
And He I trust has answered prayer,
But it has been in such a way
As almost drove me to despair.

I hoped that in some favored hour
At once He'd answer my request,
And by His love's constraining pow'r
Subdue my sins and give me rest.

Instead of this He made me feel
The hidden evils of my heart,
And let the angry pow'rs of Hell
Assault my soul in every part.

Yea more with His own hand He seemed
Intent to aggravate my woe,
Crossed all the fair designs I scheemed,
Cast out my feelings, laid me low.

Lord why is this, I trembling cried,
Wilt Thou pursue thy Worm to death?
"Tis in this way" the Lord replied,
"I answered prayer for grace and faith."

"These inward trials I employ
From self and pride to set thee free,
and break thy schemes of earthly joy
That thou mayest seek thy all in me,
That thou mayest seek thy all in me.

-
John Newton

3 comments:

Bobby Wales said...

He is alive!

Anonymous said...

Hey it was really interesting to go through your post...and thanks for sharing the wonderful prayer...well also do drop by my blog on Inspirational quotes sometimes and check out all that i've posted there!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey man, it's been good to hear what God's doing in you life. You are an encouragement to me